Brescia rises in the high Po Valley at the foot of the mountain Maddalena and of the hill Cidneo. Its territory, which lies about 149 meters above the sea levels is mostly flat. The origins of Brescia, dating back certainly at least at the fourth century BC, and Brescia was invaded and settled by many people as the Insubri and the Gauls Cenomani. Then it was conquered by the Gauls and the Romans and in 41 BC became part of the Roman Republic. Subsequently, from 402 to 493, it was invaded by the barbarians, the Visigoths, Huns, Ostrogoths and Heruli. From 568 it became an important duchy of the Lombard Kingdom. In the twelfth century Brescia came under the dominion of the Visconti. At the end of 1426 became part of the dry lands of the Venetian Republic.
Annexed to the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia, during the Risorgimento it was the scene of the ten days of Brescia, and then it was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy in 1860.
Thanks to these settlements, we find in Brescia numerous remains of various ages, first of all the Forum that, with the imposing ruins of the Capitolium, the nearby theater and the Forum itself, is the most significant set of remains of the Roman age throughout the whole Lombardy. We find also the Castle, the ancient fortress of the city, the Monastery of Santa Giulia, now the city's main museum, which houses major exhibitions since some years. (Unfortunately we are not able to offer information about the exhibition which will be hosted for the period of the Congress. We will do that further on). We mention also the Old Cathedral, the Broletto, the New Cathedral, numerous other churches of different eras, and squares and palaces. All this is settled in the old town, quite small, which can be explored on foot and in few time.
The Chatolic University
The headquarters of the Catholic University of Sacred Heart, housed in the Palazzo Martinengo Cesaresco dell'Aquilone, is located in Via Trieste 17, a side street of one of the main roads of the center of the town. The Congress will be held here. Not far away are: the seat of "Buon Pastore", 41th Museo street, which houses the Faculty of Mathematical, Physical and Natural Sciences, the seat of street Aleardi, 12th and street San Martino della Battaglia 11th , the seat of Contrada Santa Croce, 17th .
The seat of Trieste street houses the Science Library Carlo Vigaṇ, which owns about 10,000 volumes, primarily related to mathematical and physical sciences, divided almost equally into two large sections of the Old Fund and the Modern Fund. The Library also houses the electronic archive dedicated to the great mathematician Niccolo Tartaglia of Brescia (c. 1499-1557): it is based on documentary and study materials, that are located in the archive "Niccolo Tartaglia", now housed at the Central Library of the Milan Polytechnic.